La Jolla is known for being the birthing ground for beloved leopard sharks. Enthusiasts can get their fix of the spotted sea creatures and then some all throughout the month of July and August.
The fun splashes in July 2 and doesn't stop until Aug. 24. Check out the various shark-tastic events you can attend this summer below. Click on the links for additional information, like times and pricing.
- This virtual lecture is free to watch and will be led by leopard shark expert Andy Nosal. A lucky few will even get to ask Nosal quetions!
Mondays and Fridays in July:
- Spend the day at the aquarium and learn from scientists what it's like to be a shark pup.
Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays in July:
- Aquarium visitors can watch leopard sharks glide through a 70,000-gallon kelp forest tank.
Andy Nosal will be giving this evening lecture on the local legend sharks. You'll learn how the sharks are tracked, how vulnerable they are and more.
July 14 and 22: Snorkel with Sharks
- Brave souls can dive into the waters off La Jolla Coast and learn more about the sea creatures as well as receive some diving tips.
- Enhance your knowledge of these spectacular fish and their amazing adaptations through hands-on activities.
July 9-13, July 23-27 & Aug. 20-24:
- Send your fourth-sixth grader to this fun summer camp that focuses on sharks. It's offered three separate weeks during the summer.