Every month San Diego Councilwoman Sherri Lightner publishes The SpotLight, a newsletter for District 1 residents. This month's highlights include opening up street maintenance duties to the city's ongoing managed competition process. Managed competition allows private sector businesses to bid on city projects.
The SpotLight also highlighted last month's City Council vote to approve a funding formula for the Convention Center expansion. Lightner voted against the funding formula, which will raise taxes on hotels downtown by 3 percent, increase taxes by 2 percent further outside of downtown in communities like Mission Valley and Mission Beach, and raise hotel taxes by 1 percent in La Jolla, UTC and Carmel Valley.
Neighborhood repairs fixed in La Jolla in the past month:
- Potholes fixed on Torrey Pines Road between Ivanhoe Avenue and Park Row.
- Potholes fixed on Avenida Manana at Nautilus Street.
- Potholes fixed on the 7800 block of Via Capri.
- Potholes fixed on Tyrian Street from Bonair Street to Gravilla Street.
- Over grown ice plant and weeds were cut back on Nautilus Street between Via Estrada and La Jolla Scenic Drive South.