The civil case file has been posted online. You can follow the court filings in the case on the San Diego Superior Court's website. Here are step-by-step directions to help you find the files and read them for yourself. The full lawsuit complaint is attached to this story.
Note that there are fees for getting the files online, unless you go to one of the court branches where you can access them for free. The court charges $7.50 for up to 10 pages, seven cents for each additional page, up to a maximum of $40. For example, the complaint in this case is 19 pages and costs $8.13.
What do do:
- Go to the San Diego Superior Court's website (sdcourt.ca.gov).
- In the center sectioned titled "Online Services," click "Register of Actions."
- You'll be asked to read and accept the terms of a Register of Actions user agreement and disclaimer by clicking the "Accept Terms" button.
- Next, you'll have to answer a security question such as identifying the icon that matches with the term "world."
- The next screen will allow you to search for cases by number. This case number is 58613. Enter that in the third box after Court (pre-filled with "37") and Year (pre-selected with "2013") and click "search."
- Next you'll find a screen with the actions and filings in the case. You can pick the files you want, such as the complaint and original summons. Click "add to cart" for the files you want.
- At the top of the page, you can click "View Shopping Cart" to see what you have selected, and then proceed to the checkout to pay by Visa or Mastercard.