The Institute of the Americas will host a debate between mayoral candidates Carl DeMaio and Bob Filner on Thursday on UC San Diego's campus.
The law firm of McKenna Long and Aldridge is underwriting the costs of the debate. It is free and open to the public. The Institute of the Americas asks that you register in advance.
The debate will be moderated by KPBS host and reporter Tom Fudge.
Get behind the campaign ads and the lawn signs. Ask them yourself about their plans. San Diego mayoral candidates Councilman Carl DeMaio and Congressman Bob Filner speak about the issues you care about:
• How would they to strengthen the San Diego economy? Where will the jobs come from?
• How will they solve San Diego’s budget crisis?
• How will they fund their proposals? Where programs they cut?
• How should San Diego take advantage of its location on the border?
• How important is Tijuana for San Diego? Does the maquiladora industry in Tijuana help San Diego or cost it jobs?
• How should the Department of Homeland Security manage the border crossings?
There will be opportunity for the audience to submit questions to the candidates.
Directions and Parking: Give yourself plenty of time to park and locate the Institute of the Americas on UC San Diego's campus. While it has a N. Torrey Pine Road address, it is located on International Lane.
From Torrey Pines Road, enter UCSD campus via Pangea Drive and park in the Pangea Parking Structure. To walk to the Institute, return to Pangea Drive, walk uphill (east) on Thurgood Marshall Lane for one block, turn left onto International Lane. The Institute's complex is located where International Lane ends.