Shelters around San Diego County are overrun with cats, so three area animal welfare organizations announced a special promotion today to find homes for them.
An increase in stray cats is common during the summer, according to the San Diego County Humane Society. Its website shows 160 cats and kittens available for adoption.
The society is teaming up with the county Department of Animal Services and Rancho Coastal Humane Society for the “Pick Your Purr-fect Price” promotion, in which pet adopters can name their adoption fee.
The normal adoption fee for cats at the Humane Society in San Diego is $50. The cost for kittens is $100.
“It's critical that we get these cats out of shelters and into homes, where they belong,” said Dr. Gary Weitzman, president and CEO of the San Diego Humane Society. “Pet overpopulation is a significant issue nationwide and cats are the most severely affected by this.”
Cats—along with dogs and other pets—are available for adoption at:
- The San Diego Humane Society, Central Campus, 5500 Gaines St. in San Diego;
- The San Diego Humane Society, North Campus, 572 Airport Road in Oceanside;
- county Animal Shelter, 5480 Gaines St. in San Diego;
- county Animal Shelter, 5821 Sweetwater Road in Bonita;
- county Animal Shelter, 2481 Palomar Airport Road in Carlsbad; and
- , 389 Requeza St. in Encinitas.
The “Pick Your Purr-fect Price” promotion is set to last until the end of this month.
—City News Service