Hotel La Jolla holds friends and family close to its heart this holiday season. As a Christmsa gift, Hotel La Jolla's 11-floor resturant Cusp's mixologist Nate Howell shared his Kith & Kin recipe with cinammon infused pear brandy, ruby red grapefruit, fresh squeezed lemon and bitters. Kith & Kin translates to "friends and family" and this recipe serves 10 of your closest (or possible five if they drink a lot).
Please note that you will need three to five days for this recipe.
Cusp Dining & Drinks Kith & Kin Cocktail:
- 10 whole cinnamon sticks
- 1 bottle pear brandy like Clear Creek Distillery’s Williams Pear Brandy
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 5/8 cup yellow chartreuse
- 5/8 cup fresh-squeezed ruby red grapefruit juice
- 5/8 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 dashes of Angostura Bitters
- Lemon slices, cinnamon sticks and ground cinnamon for garnish
- Make cinnamon-infused pear brandy: Wrap the cinnamon sticks in a towel. Pound with a hammer to break into small pieces. Add the cinnamon to the pear brandy. Let sit for 3 to 5 days, depending on desired cinnamon flavor. Strain and return brandy to the bottle.
- Make the agave syrup: Combine the agave nectar and hot water. Stir until consistency of syrup.
- Make the cocktails: In a large punch bowl, combine 1 7/8 cup brandy with the agave syrup, yellow chartreuse, grapefruit juice, lemon juice and bitters. Garnish with lemon slices and whole cinnamon sticks.
- To serve, ladle mixture into tall crystal teacups so they are 3/4 full. Top with hot water and garnish with sliced lemon halves and a pinch of ground cinnamon or cinnamon shavings.