If you think bacon makes everything better, or love that Food Network TV show that’s all about pigging out (you know the one), then it's likely you’re looking forward to getting your grub on at the San Diego County Fair. This is the Super Bowl of fried food, and this year vendors did not disappoint. Below is a little taste of what's on tap.
If you’re the healthy sort, even while at the fair, Patch will soon be bringing you a rundown of some low-calorie and even vegan options (yes, they really do exist). But in the meantime, if you’re on the hunt for pure indulgence, read on:
- Bacon fanatics, prepare for a wonderland. Your choices this year include: Baconshrooms, deep-fried, bacon-wrapped mushrooms; the Caveman Turkey Club, one pound of bacon wrapped around an extra large turkey leg; the Manly Gourmet, two pieces of bacon wrapped around a sausage that's stuffed with mushrooms and smoked mozzarella; the Meat-On-Meat Dog, a half-pound all-beef dog wrapped in a quarter-pound of bacon; Porky Poppers, bacon-wrapped stuffed jalapeños; and the Porkabello Kabob, a portabello stuffed with gouda and wrapped in bacon, all served on a stick. Pignotti’s Pasta will offer Bacon Pasta, and there will be a deep-fried, beer-battered, bacon-wrapped hot dog.
- Chicken Charlie, the so-called 'King of Deep-Fry' and one of the fair’s longtime food trend-setters, is going to debut Deep-Fried Peanut Butter and Jelly along with Deep-Fried Cereal. Chicken Charlie will also offer Deep-Fried Pork Chops.
- The Del Mar Diner will be dishing out Deep-Fried Tang and Deep-Fried Chili Asteroids. For dessert, you'll find Pie Fries, strips of deep-fried pie crust with strawberry preserves dipping sauce.
- Reno’s Fish n’ Chips will feature Beach Fries, which come drizzled with a yogurt-based sauce typically found on fish tacos, and topped with salsa. Reno’s will also offer Deep-Fried Green Beans and Sweet Potato Tater Tots.
- If you have a sweet tooth, keep an eye out for The Funnel Cake Express' new Red Velvet Funnel Cake.
- Also new at the fair this year is The Big Rib, one-and-a-half pounds of juicy beef at the end of a bare bone rib. It’s being described as the “ultimate food on a stick.”
The San Diego County Fair will run for 24 days opening Friday, June 8, to Wednesday, July 4. The Fair will be closed Mondays except July 2.
Gates open daily at 11 a.m., Tuesdays through Fridays, and Monday, July 2; 10 a.m., Saturdays, Sundays, and Wednesday, July 4.
Admission is $13 for adults; $7 for ages 6-12 and 62 and older; free for ages 5 and younger.
Patch will taste test many of these foods and give reviews, so check back.