It's 5 o'clock somewhere. La Jolla welcomed a retail wine store this summer. Bird Rock Fine Wine sells wine and has a casual tasting experience.
Owner, and Bird Rock local, Ken Chalmers moved to La Jolla two years ago and saw a need in the area for a place where he could buy and sample good, international wines. Chalmers’ seven years of experience working for wineries in Dallas and San Francisco and his love of European wines culminated in the creation of his own wine shop that is located on 5687 La Jolla Blvd. in Bird Rock.
The bottles sold at Bird Rock Fine Wine come from an abundance of wineries around the world as well as domestically. Each week Chalmers uses his expertise and creativity to handpick a selection of themed wines to be featured during the walk-in tastings available Thursday through Saturday. Bird Rock Fine Wine encourages a relaxed, come-as-you-are attitude for its tasting sessions.
Bird Rock Fine Wine has six Bordeaux open this week for tasting, two whites from 2011 and four reds from different vintages, two left-bank and two right-bank. Tasting is from 3:30 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday through Saturday, taste the six for $25, individual pours from $2 to $8, tax included.
Bird Rock Fine Wine
- Address: 5687 La Jolla Blvd.
- Phone: 858-230-6956
- Website: BirdRockFineWine.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook: BirdRockFineWine
- Twitter: @Birdrock_wine
- Hours: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday–Wednesday, 10 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Thursday-Saturday
- Payment Accepted: Cash, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover
- Parking: Street and spaces in back lot
- Handicap Accessible: Yes
- Tastings: 3:30 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday-Saturday
- Owner: Ken Chalmers
- Date Opened: Aug. 8, 2012