D-CupCakes are indeed large cupcakes, but the innuendo has more to do with a cause rather than size. Bakery shop owner and pastry chef Josh Doiron, who opened D-CupCakes Gourmet Sweets, is donating a portion of all pink cupcake sales to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
“Breast cancer has effected my family and family friends,” said Doiron, a Bird Rock resident and San Diego native. He added it something important for him to do in his business.
Doiron is not new to the kitchen. He studied for three years at the San Diego Culinary Institute and abroud; and worked as a pastry assistant at and locally. In addition, the pastry chef turned entrepreneur has a bit of a competitive streak. He has competed in several American Culinary Federation competitions.
D-Cupcakes opened late last month on La Jolla Boulevard in Bird Rock and locals have quickly identified their favorites. Get to the bakery early if you are looking to snag one of the peanut butter cup cupcakes or daily specials.
The bakery has both indoor and outdoor seating for enjoying sweet treats onsite. It also sells cupcake themed gifts including teapots and gift baskets.
Stop by and write your own review in the comment section below.
D-CupCakes Gourmet Sweets
- Address: 5646 La Jolla Blvd., La Jolla, CA 92037
- Phone: 858-605-1652
- Facebook: D-CupCakes
- Hours: Monday through Saturday 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. or until cupcakes last.
- Payment: Visa, Mastercard, Debit and Cash
- Seating: Indoor and outdoor
- Flavors: Eight flavors each day. Four rotate and four favorites are available each day, including Triple Chocolate, Red Velvet, Peanut Butter Cup and Vanilla Purist.
- Parking: Street parking
- Date Opened: May 26, 2012
- Owner: Josh Doiron
- Handicap Accessible: Yes, level entrance