Salt from the depths of the Dead Sea has traveled all the way to La Jolla and into a new retail and alternative health therapy space. Business owner Amy Cameron introduced the natural health treatment of halotherapy with the opening of The Salt Room over the weekend.
Cameron will facilitate halotherapy or salt therapy to clients where clients will sit in a room that is covered entirely of sea salt.
The idea came from Eastern Europe where miners who worked in salt caves did not suffer from any respiratory problems. The Salt Room is meant to look like the salt caves found in Eastern Europe.
In a salt therapy session, the participant would sit comfortably in one of the six chairs in the salt room for 45 minutes. As you sit in the room, you would naturally breathe in low concentrations of salt. Air contained with tiny salt particles is pumped into the room with controlled humidity and temperature. Once the salt is inhaled, it dissolves phlegm in the bronchial tubes where it kills bacteria that causes infections. Salt is also a negative ion and meant to naturally relax the body.
After the session is completed, a switch is turned on and the air in the room is sucked out by a machine so the next session is given fresh, salty air to breathe in.
Cameron said the moment she tried salt therapy, she wanted to spread awareness. She explained that salt therapy is 100 percent natural, drug free, non-invasive and clients are still encouraged to practice their regular medical routines while undergoing halotherapy.
She encourages any client with medical condition or respiratory problems to consult with a doctor.
The retail portion of The Salt Room is open, the grand opening for the salt room will be mid-July. The retail store is open and sells natural products from bath salt to hand scrubs.
The Salt Room
- Address: 7509 Draper Ave., Suite A, La Jolla, CA 92037
- Phone: 858-456-3900
- Facebook: The Salt Room
- Hours: Tuesday through Friday 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., and Sunday 10 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Closed on Monday
- Payment: Visa, Mastercard, Debit, and Cash
- Parking: Street parking
- Owner: Amy and Michael Cameron
- Handicap Accessible: Yes, level entrance
- Services: Halotherapy, also known as salt therapy
- Clientale: Children and adults ages 6 months and older
- Appointments: Appointment recommended, walk-ins welcome
- Insurance: No insurance accepted
- Private Events: Yes
- Gift cards: Yes
- Classes: Meditation