Most San Diego County hospitals were labeled top performers in a nationwide survey by a nonprofit accreditation group.
The Joint Commission, formerly known as the The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, evaluated more than 20,000 health care providers, labeling nearly 1,100 hospitals top performers.
Rated as top performers in care for heart attacks, heart failure, pneumonia and surgery were:
- Scripps Memorial Hospital Encinitas
- Scripps Green Hospital in La Jolla
- Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla
- Grossmont Hospital in La Mesa
- Paradise Valley Hospital in National City
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital in San Diego
- Scripps Mercy Hospital in San Diego
- Sharp Memorial Hospital in San Diego
- Veterans Administration Healthcare System in La Jolla
Also, Sharp Coronado Hospital was rated a top performer in surgical care.
"This truly shows that we are approaching a tipping point in hospital quality performance," said Dr. Mark Chassin, The Joint Commission's chairman and chief executive. "The results prove once again that shared goals, data, and solutions improve health care quality and contribute to better health outcomes for patients."
—City News Service