The holiday is over. You have this weekend to chill out and do with it what you will. You could stay at home and take a breather, but we’ve got some better, more active ideas for you and the family—because a weekend in summer should never be wasted.
Check out our best bets to spend your downtime this weekend, July 8-10. Stay in La Jolla for boundless energy, photographic art and theatre. Or venture out a little farther this weekend and inspect some insects, experience some Shakespearean theatre, and audition for “American Idol.”
Click the links for more details.
BEST BETS CLOSE TO HOME
- When/where: , 2300 Expedition Way, La Jolla, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Learn about renewable energy with interactive exhibits and games.
- Price: $8.50-$12.
- When/where: , 2910 La Jolla Village Dr, La Jolla, 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
- Why go: Watch a five-person cast show off their talents by playing multiple characters.
- Price: Tickets start at $35.
- When/where: , 700 Prospect St, La Jolla, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
- Why go: Look through and appreciate the work of San Diego photographer Philipp Scholz Rittermann in his “Emperor's River” exhibit, which documents China’s rapidly evolving economy.
- Price: $5-$10.
BEST BETS, A LITTLE FARTHER OUT
- When/where: , 1363 Old Globe Way, San Diego, 8 p.m. Saturday
- Why go: Watch the magic-infested Shakespeare classic “The Tempest.”
- Price: $29-$85.
- When/where: PETCO Park, 100 Park Blvd, San Diego, 7 a.m. Friday.
- Why go: Represent America’s finest city on one of the biggest shows (“American Idol”) in our country.
- Price: Free.
- When/where: San Diego Botanic Garden, 230 Quail Gardens Dr, Encinitas, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Saturday through Sunday.
- Why go: Take the kids to view and explore live insects, taste some mealworm larva and ask entomologist endless questions about their favorite bugs.
- Price: Free with admission or membership.
- When/where: Plaza Camino Real - Westfield Shoppingtown, 2525 El Camino Real, Carlsbad, 10:30 a.m. – 3 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Learn about a living healthy lifestyle, participate in demos and agility tests, and check out different health vendors, including work-out gear and vitamin stores.
- Price: Free.