As we creep closer to fall, the weekends become more packed with fun activities for you and the family. We’ve got a lot of options this weekend for events close to home, so save gas and stay nearby. We also listed some fun events happening a car trip away, if you’re up for some close-quartered family time. And don’t forget that San Diego Restaurant Week begins on Sunday—and this year they’re including lunch in the deal.
This weekend, Sept. 16-18, La Jolla is hosting activities like kid and parent separation, kids’ theatre, a doggie fashion show, lunch lessons and snapshots of the sea at the aquarium. This Saturday is Coastal Cleanup Day all over San Diego County. Pick a beach and start cleaning!
Head to Oceanside for a Grammy Award-winning musician’s concert, Carlsbad for an Irish celebration or visit the Taste of MainStreet in Encinitas, which was postponed from last week because of our . There’s a huge music and boat fair at Mission Bay all weekend long.
Click the links for more details.
BEST BETS CLOSE TO HOME
- When/where: , 8200 Camino Del Oro, La Jolla, 9 a.m.-noon Saturday.
- Why go: Help hundreds of others in our community clean up our coastal lines and make La Jolla beaches clean and beautiful during this countywide coastal cleanup.
- Price: Free.
- When/where: , 615 Prospect St., La Jolla, 5-8:30 p.m. Friday.
- Why go: Send your kids out for the night so you and your spouse can spend some alone time together in.
- Price: $15.
- When/where: , 7877 Herschel Ave., La Jolla, 7 p.m. Friday; 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
- Why go: Come see the newest show at the YMCA theatre, How I Became a Pirate, put on by kids of various ages. You’ll follow a buried treasure journey with pirates and ships.
- Price: $11-$14.
- When/where: , 7755 Girard Ave., La Jolla, 2-3 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Watch dogs strut their stuff at this doggie fashion show. There will be a raffle with prizes and refreshments and appetizers.
- Price: Free.
- When/where: , 7857 Girard Ave., La Jolla, 2:30-4 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Learn fun techniques and recipes for brainy and healthy lunches for adults and kids alike. Kids can get their lunchboxes filled with healthy products and Silly Bandz.
- Price: $35.
- When/where: , 2300 Expedition Way, La Jolla, 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Why go: It’s SEA Days at Birch! Test out camera equipment at the aquarium, learn underwater photography tips and check out photos of science. You can also meet Scripps researchers.
- Price: Free with aquarium admission ($8-$12).
BEST BETS, A LITTLE FARTHER OUT
- When/where: , 1363 Old Globe Way, San Diego, 8-10 p.m. Thursday through Sunday.
- Why go: Travel down to the Old Globe for a cult classic, The Rocky Horror Show. Sing along to your favorites with Brad and Janet.
- Price: $29-$122.
- When/where: 818 S. Coast Hwy., Encinitas, 6-9 p.m. Thursday.
- Why go: Get a taste of local food with this Taste of MainStreet event (that had to be postponed because of last week’s major blackout.) One ticket will get you 33 tastes from restaurants in Encinitas. Foodies cannot pass this one up.
- Price: $25.
- When/where: , 230 Quail Gardens Dr., Encinitas, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Thursdays through Sundays.
- Why go: Listen to an audio play while walking through a mapped out region of the botanic gardens during this interactive play called Susurrus, put on by the La Jolla Playhouse.
- Price: $20.
- When/where: , 2702 La Costa Ave., Carlsbad, 6-10 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: The Ocean Discovery Institute is having a fundraiser for the environment, complete with food, prizes and a live auction.
- Price: $250.
- When/where: Oceanside Civic Center Library, 330 N. Coast Hwy., Oceanside, 7:30 p.m. Friday.
- Why go: Sit in and listen to Grammy Award-winning Irish musician Moya Brennan. Make sure to RSVP to ensure a seat!
- Price: Free.
- When/where: Mission Bay, 1775 E. Mission Bay Dr., San Diego, various hours Friday through Sunday.
- Why go: See more than 25 bands perform over the weekend and watch big boats race in the water. There will be activities for kids, food booths and beer gardens.
- Price: Free for military with ID; $10-$30 for various level tickets. A three-day VIP pass, which includes parking, is $250.