We’ve reached the end of summer and it’s time to celebrate the first weekend of fall. Friday marks the first day of fall and the weekend forecast promises cool weather with some clouds to boot. Enjoy the new season with some fun events and activities for you and the family. We’ve got the best bets, near and far, listed below.
This weekend, Sept. 22-25, get out in La Jolla and walk or drink for a cure. You can visit The Loft at UC San Diego for a comical concert, get a children’s book signed and meet some Padres players and attend two opening receptions to some art exhibits in town.
Looking for some travel time? Oceanside is having a weekend event in the harbor with sail boats and crafts, Solana Beach boasts plenty of bands, San Marcos has a culinary clash with a battle of the chefs, Coronado has a race at the base and Point Loma is hosting the San Diego County beer fair.
Click the links for more details.
BEST BETS CLOSE TO HOME
- When/where: , 7536 Fay Ave., La Jolla, 7-10 p.m. Thursday.
- Why go: Buy some beer for your boys.
- Price: Free to attend; prices vary for beers.
- When/where: The Loft at , 9500 Gilman Dr., La Jolla, 8 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Watch Garfunkel & Oates, two girls from Pennsylvania that act, sing and provide lots of laughs while they do it.
- Price: $6-$20.
- When/where: , 1008 Wall St., La Jolla, 6:30 p.m. Friday.
- Why go: Come to the opening reception of the Athenaeum's anniversary exhibit, The Whitakers, The Souhwest and Mexico.
- Price: Free.
- When/where: Moores UCSD Cancer Center, 3855 Health Sciences Dr., La Jolla 8-11:30 a.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Walk or run a 5k around UCSD in the name of melanoma. Walk with survivors of the skin cancer and meet emcee 10News Anchor Bill Griffith, male breast cancer and melanoma survivor.
- Price: $30.
- When/where: , 7812 Girard Ave., La Jolla, 10 a.m.-11:30 a.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Meet children's author Jenny Werner as she signs her new book, My Padres Baseball Game. Padres players and Padres manager Bud Black will also be present.
- Price: Free.
- When/where: , 700 Prospect St., La Jolla, 7 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Celebrate the MCASD’s largest exhibit to date at this member’s preview of Phenomenal: California Light, Space, Surface. Enjoy music, cocktails and guided tours, plus a sneak peek at the newest exhibit.
- Price: Free for members, $20 general admission.
BEST BETS, A LITTLE FARTHER OUT
- When/where: , 540 Cornish Dr., Encinitas, 3 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: See the La Jolla Symphony, the San Diego North Coast Singers and pianist Ann Chase perform at this fundraiser for music scholarships for students. Funds raised will go to students who want to perform at Carnegie Hall in New York.
- Price: Free, but donations are accepted.
- When/where: Belly Up Tavern, 143 S. Cedros Ave., Solana Beach, 5 p.m. Friday, 9 p.m. Friday through Sunday.
- Why go: Choose from four shows this weekend at the Belly Up, including performances by Atomic Groove, The Mother Hips, The Tilt, a Beatles tribute band and some beat boxing. You’ll get an in to the best up and coming music and bands.
- Price: $5-$20, depending on the show, time and if you buy tickets in advance.
- When/where: , 5480 Grand Pacific Dr., Carlsbad, 10:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Young girls, ages 11-18, will be empowered at this one-day workshop where they’ll explore college and career choices, ways to have a healthy body image and more. Various vendors, including clothing, jewelry and art, will be present.
- Price: $15-$18.
- When/where: , North Island Naval Complex, Coronado, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
- Why go: See cars race and wind their way around the naval base at this Fleet Week Coronado Speed Festival.
- Price: $25-$150.
- When/where: 2750 Womble Rd., San Diego, noon-4 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: It’s the San Diego County Beer Fair, where you can sample 12 beers, taste samples of food, meet brewers and more.
- Price: $35-$50.