Old Town San Diego evokes images of Ballet Folklorico, authentic Mexican food and margaritas, but offers so much more. Old Town was the first permanent Spanish settlement in California and boasts 17 museums rich in history. Old Town provides shops galore, restaurants, and plenty of historic sites, which are perfect for a fun family outing.
The fall season is no exception to the good times that can be had at this historic landmark. Get your walking shows on, grab the family and prepare for a fun-filled day. The following are some suggestions that add an element of adventure beyond the typical shop strolling and Mexican food dining experience!
- Check out The San Diego Sheriff’s Museum, which traces the history and evolution San Diego’s police force, and take a look at an 1850’s cobblestone sheriff’s office complete with an original jail cell.
- Whaley House hosts Old Town ghost tours, more suitable for older kids. The famous haunted house hosts "Past & Present Ghost Tours" of Old Town's most haunted locations. Tickets are $25 (ages 13 and up only). Tip: If you buy tickets online, you will pay more, so give them a call at 619-297-7511.
- Visit (fee-free) the Estudillo House, a furnished National Historic Landmark, and glimpse at the rooms of an early mansion at your leisure.
- Join in on a program of scary, funny and tragic stories of people who lived in San Diego in the 1800s. Old Town San Diego State Historic Park’s "Whooo's The Wickedest Ghost? A Spooky Trial” provides an hour-long walking tour, with performers that will keep you on your toes! Cost is $15 for adults and $5 for children ages 6 to 18. Call 619-220-5422 for tickets and information.
- Take an Old Town State Park Tour for free! No reservations necessary; just show up at the Old Town Visitor’s Center at the Robinson Rose building on the plaza. For reservations call 619-220-5422.
- Check out San Diego's largest weekly Saturday Artisan Market, which features handmade works from local artisans, such as jewelry, photography, pottery, clothing, hand painted glass, woodworking's and more. The market hours are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and the event is totally free.
- Take a tour of the San Diego Mormon Battalion Historic Site, and go through a series of rooms representing contributions of the Mormon Battalion. The tour is free and you get a free photo.
- Grab some coupon savings and review some of the interesting museums online, first, which will make for a more valuable experience for the kids and help you make the most of your time.
For more information on the above or other attractions contact the Old Town San Diego Chamber of Commerce at 2415 San Diego Avenue, Suite 107, San Diego, 619-291-4903.