Not everyone loves the idea of going to a big-box gym. Some prefer getting their sweat on in a smaller, more boutique-style setting. This is where Breakaway Cycle comes in. The cycle studio recently opened on Fay Avenue in La Jolla.
Shop owner Jon Halberg said there's a lot that differentiates his studio's classes to those you may find at a franchise fitness center. First, class-goers are invited to create a free on-line account that allows them to view class schedules, reserve space and even select the bike they'd like to use. Each guest is provided with a complimentary bottle of water and towel upon arrival and the end of the class they are handed a chilled, eucalyptus scented towel to wipe their face.
Halberg invites anyone, from beginners to avid cyclists, to take advantage of a complimentary session. The only thing you'll need to do to redeem the offer, he said, is to create a free account and sign up on line.
- Address: 7777 Fay Ave. Ste. G1 (downstairs)
- Phone: 858-454-BIKE (858-454-2553)
- Web: breakawaycycle.com
- Twitter: twitter.com/breakawaystudio
- Facebook: facebook.com/breakawaystudio
- Payment type: Cash, Check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express
- Hours: Hours vary, as Breakaway Cycle is only open during class times. Class schedules are published weekly online.
- Classes offered: Group classes are currently offered. And one-on-one sessions are available for those wishing to receive more personalized instruction
- Parking: Lot and street
- Shower facilities: Yes
- Lockers: Yes
- Owner: Jon Halberg
- Fun Fact: La Jolla's own Giuseppe Ciuffa leads classes several times a week. Chef Guiseppe helms the Museum Cafe and Caroline's Seaside Cafe in La Jolla and Giuseppe's Fine Catering. Class participants are provided a discount at The Museum Cafe.
Know of a new business in La Jolla? Let us know about it. Email La Jolla Patch Editor Michelle Mowad at email@example.com