San Diego Coastkeeper announced its annual Coastal Champions nominations, celebrating the people, businesses and organizations taking initiative in protecting and restoring San Diego County’s waters. On June 4, honoring World Oceans Day, Coastkeeper will announce seven winners who demonstrate leadership in different areas of water protection.
The awards include:
- Runoff Rock Star: This award is for actions taken to reduce urban runoff through best practices, such as low impact development, pollution prevention and urban waste reduction.
- Water Wise: This award is for achievement in water-friendly landscaping techniques, such as water conservation and the use of methods to promote healthy environmental restoration with native plants and natural growth.
- Marine Conservation: This award recognizes efforts to advocate for ocean conservation, including techniques and innovations related to marine protected areas (MPAs) or other conservation areas of concern.
- Find & Fix: This award is for the success in a program, project or idea that first finds a pollution problem, and then takes action to fix that pollution problem in the community.
- Blue Tech: The nomination goes to exceptional innovation in the development and/or use of technology to protect and restore fishable, swimmable, drinkable waters in San Diego County.
- Lighthouse Award: This award is for a lifetime achievement in advancing fishable, swimmable, drinkable waters in San Diego County. Coastkeeper's board of directors will select the award recipient.
- Volunteer of the Year: This award recognizes the efforts of one of our many volunteers who have gone above and beyond. Coastkeeper staff will select this recipient.
- ASBS Award: San Diego has two Areas of Special Biological Significance (ASBS) singled out for special water quality protections. The ASBS Award is a special recognition, in addition to one of the above awards, for effort and achievement to improve water quality of ASBS.
Save the date for the awards breakfast at the Birch Aquarium at Scripps in La Jolla on June 4, 2013.
For nominations and tickets, sign up for Coastkeeper’s newsletter. Check back on February 1 at Coastkeeper’s World Oceans Day and Coastal Champions 2013 page for more details.
If you are interested in sponsorship opportunities, want to reserve a table or place your name on the nomination materials, please contact San Diego Coastkeeper Executive Director Megan Baehrens at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 619-758-7743 ext. 103.
For more information, please visit www.sdcoastkeeper.org.
SAN DIEGO COASTKEEPER: Founded in 1995, San Diego Coastkeeper protects and restores fishable, swimmable and drinkable waters in San Diego County. Visit us online at http://www.sdcoastkeeper.org.