The holidays are a time of family and celebration, and something as daunting as selling your home can be a challenge amidst the many dinners, cocktail parties and holiday shopping certain to ensue. However, you should not let the thought of selling your home during the winter months dampen your holiday spirit.
If you do have your home on the market over the holidays, you can create a festive, buyer-friendly environment to celebrate while still allowing buyers to potentially picture themselves in your home. Below are a few helpful tips to holiday decorating while your home is on the market:
- Avoid overly religious decorations, which may be off-putting to some buyers
- Incorporate subtle touches like pinecone centerpieces or evergreen wreaths around your home
- Complement the color palette of your holiday décor with existing themes in the rooms your decorate
- The right accessories can attract attention to your home’s best features, like hanging tasteful ornaments from your mantel
- Tone down garish light displays inside and outside your home
- Minimize the size of your Christmas tree if you decide to display one
- Turn on the heater and light candles to scent the house prior to showings. Never leave candles burning unattended!
It is a personal decision for a seller whether they want to list/continue listing their home during the holiday season. It behooves any seller to seek the guidance of their agent on how to move forward based on current market conditions.
We hope these tips are helpful, and wish you and yours a very happy holiday season!
Your Home, Our Community is a blog contributed by Alexandra & Sean Germon, local real estate agents at Harcourt Prestige Properties in La Jolla. For more information, please call 858-395-6642 or 619-985-5323.